Different kind of Cyber Monday

My email inbox this morning was flooded with all sorts of emails about Cyber Monday. I quickly deleted pretty much all of them. I do not really need any electronic items nor more workout clothes. But – there was one email I did not delete: the email from the New York Road Runners reminding me that Dec. 2nd was the day that applications would be open for the 2014 NYC Marathon!

The NYC marathon is probably one of the hardest marathons to enter. Unlike most marathons that you just have to make sure you enter in plenty of time before it sells out (like the Ottawa Marathon) – the NYC marathon does not let you just enter. You have to enter in a pool. As I have tried to enter the marathon in 2011, 2012 and 2013, and was denied entry, therefore I was eligible for guaranteed entry for 2014. This is the last year for this rule – so I knew that if it was true and I could enter – then I was going to register for the marathon.

So this morning when I walked into work – I logged in and saw this message on my NYRR profile:

Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 8.59.16 AM

So I registered!

ps. That race is damn expensive!!

Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 9.02.28 AM

Because of the cost of this race – and the fact that I have to train for a marathon, my 2014 race reason will be very different. Other than the Ottawa Race Weekend, I will pretty much be limiting myself to cheaper races (like the MEC race series which can be free). So there we have it – officially running a marathon next year! I have eleven months to freak out about all those bridges…..

Happy Cyber Monday!!

1. Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom

Congratulations!!!!! 😀

2. Kristi

Woohoo! What a great thing to look forward to in 2014!!!
    I admit I briefly thought about throwing my name in the lottery today but then I looked at the price…at that point I decided that maybe I should just run a bunch of Canadian half marathons instead 🙂 I get that it would be an expensive race to organize but I can’t figure out why non-American runners have to pay so much more. Sounds like a money grab to me. All that said, what a run experience it will be. I loved running the NYC half marathon last March, I am sure the full will be just as awesome!

It is going to be an expensive race! If it wasn’t on my life bucket list, I wouldn’t be signing up! Which is also why I haven’t done many other ‘destination’ races either. I’ve heard from a coach that was at my training last weekend that it is truly an experience – people cheer the entire way (minus the bridges). I’m planning on enjoying the race, not so much ‘racing’ it 😀

3. Kristi

The Nyc half was like that too – amazing support from spectators so definitely soak it all in. And I will say Central Park has to be one of my all-time favourite places to run.
    I am considering doing the Vancouver half in June. That will be the opposite of NY – reasonable race cost, crazy amount of money to get there!

I’ve been shocked from time to time when looking at the cost of airfare to Vancouver – sometimes it is more expensive than traveling to Los Angeles!

4. Brittany

OH MY GOSH, how exciting!!!! I hope one day I can gather the courage to run a full marathon.

5. Nicole

This is soooo exciting!! Congratulations!

6. Crystal@TheFastFitRunner

I did the same! Great little $6 discount, too bad not a discount on the actual race registration. That is absolutely crazy expensive, but I paid it once, and I’ll pay it again.

It will be worth it, I’m sure!