Bone Scan Update

The other day I FINALLY got into the Ottawa hospital for a bone scan. I started the whole process back in June when I booked an appointment with my family doctor. The whole process took about 4 weeks, which isn’t too terrible. Not sure how it works in other countries. The Ottawa Hospital takes care of bone scans around here, so on Tuesday I went and had a bone scan done on my legs. No big deal – you go in, get an initial scan after they shoot some radioactive junk into you. You come back a few hours later and have another longer scan done. Totally painless and pretty easy (no waiting or anything for me).

The results came in today and you are totally not going to believe this:

Stress fracture evidence in BOTH legs…..

That is right – BOTH legs.  Yet I’ve never felt any pain on the right leg. If you are thinking “the hell?!?” – you are thinking just like I am.

So a few things to note:

1) My leg pain was NEVER super painful. Yes – I limped 2 weeks before the Ottawa Marathon but it was never super painful

2) It feels fine now and as I mentioned, I’ve NEVER felt pain on the right leg – I am pressing on my shin right now and I cannot even tell you where a “tender spot” is….

So I really don’t even know what to think about that. I would like to talk to my own doctor, but she is on holidays.  The substitute doctor didn’t even talk to me, but the receptionist talked to me. She said the doctor wanted to know if it was “healing” – how am I supposed to know that? Does it feel better? Yes! Did I take enough time off? Maybe?  I basically ran 2x from the half marathon (May 25) til July  7th. There is still a spot on my left shin that is there – but it doesn’t hurt like before. I’ve also run 70KM in July which is the most I’ve ever run (highest was 62 in May). I’ve been sticking to my new routine and being very strict about my weekly mileage and not over-doing and not going too fast.

Of course now I’m worried I’m going to do a Krista Duchene and fully break my leg on a run….

It makes me think of other things too – Female athlete triad is common – BUT one of the big symptoms of that is amenorrhea. I’m perfectly A-ok in that department – never ever had a problem with that. Disordered eating? Have you seen me eat? Sure I could stand to eat more veggies and I avoid certain foods when travelling – but I eat everything. It is the osteoporosis factor that is my bigger concern (and will require another talk with my doctor) as it runs in my family (my Dad has it).

So what does this mean for NYC? Well right now, I’m going to call the doctor’s office back and leave a message so my doctor talks to me when she gets back. I can fully cancel NYC and be guaranteed for 2015 – I just would have to pay the entry fee again (oh dear…). My hotel arrangements were all made so that I could cancel with no penalty. I can fully cancel the marathon with a few days notice. Not a big deal.

Am I going to cancel? Right now no…..

I might have to though….

1. Mom

We’ll that bites! Make sure you check out the osteoporosis thing
    All 3 boys have it, but I do not think aunt Joan does.

2. Nicole

Woah- that’s crazy! I sure hope you don’t have to cancel NYC but it’s good to know you have guaranteed entry for next year.

I’m hoping not either – but yes, it is great that I can cancel and defer. Losing the entry fee sucks – but at least I can get in next year!

3. Kristi

Oh no! The good news is you are really early in your marathon training…there is still time to get lots of training done even if you have to go easy for a while. You can also readjust pace goals and just head to the marathon to enjoy the whole experience of it all, not worrying about pace if you didn’t get all of your training in. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    Kristi recently posted…The in24 Philadelphia Midnight Madness 8.4 Mile Race RecapMy Profile

I’m not worried about pacing at all for the marathon – the goal is to finish it 🙂

Yes – I may have to switch up the training a bit. My mileage is rather low, but I’m thinking I might have to lower the distance on some of those long runs and add the distances to other runs – so more medium-length runs rather than short-short-short-long. It is what I did this week and its working

4. Stephanie@nowirun.com

Rebecca– I am SO sorry! Did the receptionist give you any idea about how long it should take you to heal or what you should do to help it along? Hugs!
    Stephanie@nowirun.com recently posted…Running News ~ Going for it!My Profile

I called again and told them my mileage in July and how it has been pretty much pain free – especially in the shin area. I’ve had nothing like what was going on in May. I’ve done more KM than ever in one month. The doctor said that I could resume running but if the pain returns to stop. My guess is that yes, I had a stress fracture in May but I took loads of time off and it is healing. Bone scans can also pick up other things too – but maybe the CT-scan I also had some evidence on there.

I saw a physio therapist last week and she has given me lots of exercises to do and helped with my gait – it has helped tremendously. I no longer get tightness in my calve muscles and we figured out what the main issue is. So that should also help prevent injury!

5. Smitha @ FauxRunner

I’m sorry 🙁
    That sucks.
    I guess the bright thing about it is Stress fracture shows up after you’re starting to heal up. So you are on your way to healing up.
    Smitha @ FauxRunner recently posted…Safety Tips for Running Alone #RunSafeMy Profile

6. Lisa @ Lulus Big Adventure

That’s awful, I’m sorry to hear that!! Have you ever had a bone density scan?
    Lisa @ Lulus Big Adventure recently posted…Friends & Fun Times in BarcelonaMy Profile

No – but that is what I’m wanting to do next – have to ask my family doc when she comes back from vacation

7. Heather @ GirlGoesRunning

Oh dear, both legs?!?! I hope everything heals quickly for you.
    Heather @ GirlGoesRunning recently posted…Mount Edward Grocery Memorial Run RecapMy Profile

They both *should* be healing – I don’t get the right leg at all! Never has hurt before…