Thinking Out Loud Thursday: NYC Marathon Goals

Linking up with Amanda at Running with Spoons – Thinking out Loud Thursday!

Thinking-Out-Loud2

I leave for NYC tomorrow afternoon – looking forward to the 7-ish hour drive through NY State tomorrow – woohoo?  I even downloaded some Bubble Guppies, Curious George and Little Einsteins for Max’s viewing pleasure as he tends to get tired of the car at the 4 hour mark. I am home early today as I already finished my class and now have til 4pm to get things ready – then it is off to my last outdoor track practice of the year! I shall be relaxing by watching some Parenthood and Big Bang Theory!

So what are my thoughts on my NYC Marathon Goals?

Honestly – I have one goal:

To Finish

DSCF3255.JPG

LOL – this bridge….

There isn’t much to it, really. The first marathon is a test race. I don’t really know what to expect as my training plan stopped at 32K long run – so who knows how my body will react to an additional 10K. Long runs are done at a very slow pace, so I also don’t know exactly how fast I can run on marathon day. My official prediction if all my aches and pains are just due to tapering (which btw are barely there today) is 4:55. I have only run a 2:15 half marathon and when predicting a marathon time, you don’t just multiple that number by two. I am adding them together and adding another 25 minutes. If I run the marathon like my long runs – it will be at about 6:50 pace doing 10 and 1’s with a number of breaks adding in. I’ve run all my long runs with breaks every 5 or so KM and will probably do that again on Sunday. I’m also planning on taking some pictures and giving some high fives. I’m not in a rush.

My plan for the race is to run a leisurely first half. I do much better if I take my first 3K or so at a crawl. Honestly, the first bridge is so crowded and because I’m starting in one of the back corrals,  I won’t be surprised if I end up walking chunks of it. Brooklyn is supposed to be super crowded as well, and hopefully that makes me slow down a bit. Depending how I feel, I will attempt to take the second half a bit faster. My goal pace (adjusted for walking) is about 6:50/km. I am sticking to my 10/1’s OR might also just walk every water station as they are at every mile starting at mile 3. When I long run, I hit 10 minutes about every 1.5KM, and a mile = 1.6KM, so that will probably work out. I am going to have to stop and use the lovely washroom facilities at least once.

That is it – to finish, have fun and really nothing else.

100_3019.JPG

1. steve wemyss

take your time and enjoy the race

2. Jen @ Pretty Little Grub

I’m right there with you, plan is to finish only. I will probably be finishing around the same time as you though. I’m predicting around 4:45. I’m getting so excited!!

The day is finally almost here! We’ve known about this for so long too – I even checked to see when I booked my Manhattan hotel – February!!!

Yup between 4:45 and 5 hrs is really what I’m predicting. 4:45 if everything holds up – 5 hrs will probably be if I take some breaks judging by the total time I take to run my long runs (I have always taken breaks). BUT – since it is a race and I won’t be running 42.2KM of boring country roads, maybe under 5:00 isn’t that hard of a goal.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

3. Nicole

Good luck! Can’t wait to hear all about it! You are going to have a great race!

4. Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom

SO CLOSE!! Can’t wait to hear all about it!!!
    Rachel @ Undercover Diva: A Sitcom recently posted…Adjusting to Life in a New CountryMy Profile

5. Crystal

I’m hoping for about 4.5! I leave this afternoon too. Haven’t been able to sleep well all week :(. Good luck !

6. Mike

Sounds like a great race goal and plan. Finishing is a good main goal of any first marathon, let alone one with the tiring logistics of NYC. I’m just planning to enjoy the day and try not to get too carried away in my pace with all the crowds.

7. Crystal

Run strong! Have fun. Smile!
    Crystal recently posted…Getting Bendy with it: Bikram YogaMy Profile

8. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust

Great plan, Rebecca! I know no matter what, you are going to have a great race and memorable experience. This is your FIRST marathon so just enjoy and take in the energy and environment. You will get to see NYC in ways that most never will – lucky!!
    Kristen @ Glitter and Dust recently posted…CIM Training And Learning To Take A Chill PillMy Profile