When of the side effects of Thanksgiving dinner is the large amount of turkey leftovers from the meal. I am thinking that because there is so many other things to eat on Thanksgiving (stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce…) that we don’t eat that much turkey. Since it is a bigger bird, there tends to be lots of leftovers. Truthfully, I don’t mind the leftovers because it makes meal planning for the week that much easier.
I tend to eat turkey about four more times during the week of Thanksgiving. My go-to meals are turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey pot pie and turkey with pasta. But the one dish I enjoy the post is an open-faced hot turkey sandwich. You just don’t put turkey and gravy on white bread and call it a day – you have to dress up the sandwich a bit.
My ultimate Open Faced Turkey Sandwich
1) Get a slice of white bread and add a layer of mayo
2) Place your assorted turkey on top of the sandwich
3) Place a generous helping of stuffing on top. If you have run out of stuffing it is easy to make some more. Just get some stale bread – heat in a pan with sherry, celery, onions and pecans for a few minutes. During the last minute or two, add a few tablespoons of chicken/turkey broth and a slab of butter. Put the mixture in the oven for about 10 minutes at 375 and boom – instant stuffing.
4) Smother the whole thing with gravy
5) Top with a slice of cranberry sauce and if you feel like some vegetables – add some peas.
NYC Marathon News!
Bib numbers were released this afternoon – finally! That isn’t what we were waiting for though. The important info is your wave and corral colours. I am officially in Wave 3 (the wave I wanted) and in the Green Corral. The Green Corral folks are the ones going on the lower deck of the Verrazano-Narrows bridge. I’m a bit bummed that I won’t be on the top – but you still get the view!