It is back to school for many Ontario students today! I am at a new school today and getting ready to start my 9th (!!!!) year of teaching. I actually had to write out all the years on a piece of paper because I did not believe that it is my 9th year. Going back to school usually means the start of bagged lunches again. School cafeterias in Ontario are pretty awful unless the school has a culinary arts program, so I tend to bring my lunch. I’m not a fan of sandwiches, so I am starting to think of different meals I can prepare in advance.
This weekend I made an Asian Noodle Salad – it was yummy!
This salad is pretty easy to make. You can make it super simple by using a stir fry mix – or just use whatever you have on hand. Once prepared, the salad can just be served. You can also keep the salad for a day or two in the fridge for easy lunch making.
The spice level depends on how much red pepper flakes you put in. Another method you can try if you have someone that doesn’t like spice – take out the red pepper flakes and just bring out a bottle of Sriracha sauce!
- Noodles of your choice - I used "instant noodles" I found at the grocery store. I put in 3 "servings" of noodles.
- Veggies of your choice - I just used a fresh stir fry mix
- Bell Pepper
- Green Onion
- Sesame Seeds
- Bean Sprouts
- A few splashes of Soy Sauce
- ⅓ Cup of Oil - Canola/Vegetable would work
- ⅓ Cup of Rice Vinegar
- Splash of Hoisin Sauce
- Splash of Sesame Seed Oil
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- About half a teaspoon of red pepper flakes if you want some spice
- 1 small clove of garlic - chopped
- ½ an inch of fresh ginger - chopped
- A sprinkle of lime zest or juice
- Cook your noodles as per the directions. Do not overcook. Al dente is best. Once the noodles are done cooking, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Splash some soy sauce on your noodles and put in mixing bowl. Set aside
- Prepare your veggies. I steamed my stir fry mix. Like the noodles, do not over cook. You don't want mushy veggies! For the pepper and green onion, I just sliced and put in the bowl with the noodles. Once the stir fry mix is cooked, rinse with cold water and place into the mixing bowl that has the noodles.
- For the dressing:
- Find some sort of food processor. I used a Magic Bullet. Combine all the ingredients (oil, rice vinegar, chopped garlic and ginger, salt and pepper, hoisin sauce, lime zest and red pepper flakes) into the container and pulse until blended.
- Mix the dressing with the noodles and top with sesame seeds.
- Serve away!
Hope you enjoy it!