I’m heading to Mississauga shortly – if you are travelling to Mississauga/Toronto for the Mississauga Marathon or the GoodLife Toronto Marathon, safe travels and good luck! I hope to see several of you at the start on Sunday!
One of the many pieces of advice that experienced runners give newer ones is to not just run – make sure you cross train and get some strength training in. When I first started running, I barely went to the gym. For my first marathon cycle, I think I strength trained only a couple of times. Now, it is part of my routine. I head to GoodLife at least once a week and once this marathon cycle is over, I will be heading back to the gym more frequently as I head into 5K running season/maybe even track season.
I typically go to the gym after school before picking Max up from pre-school. To make things easier, I have a dedicated gym bag to hold my stuff. There are a number of items I gathered or purchased just for my gym bag to ensure I don’t lose anything, which happens when I switch bags. My bag is from MEC and is the perfect size for gym clothes, shoes, towels and everything else.
So what is in my gym bag?
- Shower Gel
- chapstick – never leave home without it
- Flip Flops
- Apple Headphones – I lost my other ones 🙁
- Extra hair ties
- Granola bars – in case I’m really hungry after
- Water bottle – when I started running longer than 40 minutes on the treadmill, I had a water bottle in the holder. It makes all the difference!
- Workout plans – I purchased a journal and cut/paste workouts from magazines that I like. I also add my own workouts as well
Having everything in one bag, ready to go makes it easier to stop by GoodLife, even if it is only for 30 minutes or so. Sometimes I even leave my bag in my car with a fresh set of clothes so that if I randomly have some spare time, I can get a quick workout in.
This post was written as part of the GoodLife Fitness Blogger Ambassador Program, however all opinions expressed are my own