In a mission to eat a little better and stop eating so much sugar, I’ve started to make some of my own snacks and actually food prep! One of my bad habits is grabbing a chocolate bar whenever I’m hungry. Not too healthy and filled with sugar. One time I even grabbed a bag of mini eggs (the big bag, not even the small one) and proceeded to eat the entire bag. I do enjoy Kind bars, but they are a bit expensive. I went on a hunt for protein bar recipes and ended up creating my own. Protein bars are super easy to make and you can create pretty much any variation that you want. If you prefer just straight up protein/nut butter – then so be it. Prefer dried fruit over nuts? Not a problem! I’ve made a couple of batches of protein bars and they really take no time at all.
All of the ingredients in the protein bars are items that you can find in Bulk Barn (which I think is just a Canadian thing?). There are so many ways to mix up your protein bars by shopping at the Bulk Barn – they have everything! I had not been in one in years, but went a few weeks ago and found so many items.
Chocolate No Bake Protein Bars
- 2 Cups of Oats - I used just regular rolled oats in one batch and quick oats in another. I prefer the rolled outs
- 1 cup of chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup of peanut butter/nut butter of choice - I tried one with Kraft PB and another with freshly ground PB from bulk barn. The Kraft blend tastes like your usual PB and J sandwiches, the fresh PB tasted more nutty
- 2 TSP of honey
- ½ cup of milk/milk of choice - use a bit more if you are using the fresh made PB
- Toppings of choice - I used pumpkin seeds, cranberries, coconut and dried blueberries
- Dark Chocolate chips for topping
- Mix your protein powder and oats in a bowl
- Add your mix - but not the chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, honey and PB until the PB is melted
- Gently stir into the dried mix until everything is moist
- Line a cake pan/square pan with waxed paper and put mixture in pan
- Refrigerate for a few hours - then cut and serve!
Super easy! Feel free to change your nut butter and fruit/nut options. I think I want to try and add some almonds somehow! I’ve been grabbing a bar on the go or for a snack. They don’t upset my stomach and do give me a boost – better than a chocolate bar!
What would you put in your protein bars?