Well a week after the Army Run Half-Marathon I am pondering my next race. I want to do one more race before the end of the season, as well as try to get a 5K PB. So obviously I am considering 5K races this time. I haven’t had the best luck with them this year because the races that I signed up to do I had to bring Max in the Chariot. It will be a long time before I can break 29 minutes with Max in tow!
So the two races that I am thinking about are Somersault’s Fall Colours and Ottawa Hospital’s Rattle me Bones. I have competed in Rattle me Bones before, but not Fall Colours. Fall Colours is one of the few Somersault Races that I have never entered as usually I am with my family on Thanksgiving.
Here are some deciding factors:
- Never competed before (+)
- Not far from my house (+)
- Challenging course (hills) (+)
- Popular Race (+)
- Parking is a pain (-)
- Challenging Course (hills) (-)
- Somersault is getting very pricey (-)
Rattle me Bones
- Proceeds go to a great cause (+)
- Fairly flat course (+)
- Free Parking (+)
- Race is weeks away which means I have time to rest and then do some runs (+)
- Costumes are not only allowed, they are encouraged! (+)
- Race is at the end of October – it could be cold (-)
- I’ve competed in the race before (-)
- It is a bit of a drive to the Hospital (-)
- Run is at the hospital = boring scenery (-)
All in all, you can’t really go wrong with either race. I am strongly leaning towards Rattle me Bones only because it is in a month – not next weekend. My right lower leg is acting up and I think I need to take it easy for another week. I ran the Terry Fox Run at school the other day and because I went fairly fast, I think I aggravated my leg just a tad. Also there is a bit of a price difference between the two. I know that may sound corny, but when you do many races in a year – it adds up!
Anyways, I have decided to run Rattle me Bones on October 28th. If you wish to donate some $$ towards the cause, please my fundraising page and donate what you can. *Or* Even better – come run with me!! There is a 1K, 2K, 5K and 10K to choose from and children are more than welcome to run!