So this is the delayed week 10 post of 52 New Things:
Week 10: Make a Dessert with Bacon (Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies)
I have never heard of bacon cookies until late last year (I believe Meghann from Meals and Miles posted something about a cookie party once). Never thought to put bacon in a dessert ever. It seems something out of Iron Chef or Chopped, not my home kitchen! So I figured that I would put a bacon dessert on the things to do! Turns out there is quite a few desserts out there – but since I am ok at making cookies (and enjoy cookies very much so) I decided to go for a bacon-cookie recipe.
I did not really like one cookie recipe exclusively, so I adapted my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe and incorporated bacon into it. Total time was about 45 minutes
Bacon – 5-6 strips
Maple Syrup – 3 Tablespoons
Brown Sugar – 1 cup and a bit
Flour – 1.5 cups
Butter (softened) – 1/2 cup
Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Egg – 1
Dark Chocolate chips – as much as desired.
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and put your 5-6 strips of bacon on top
3) Sprinkle brown sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup on top
4) Bake for about 15 minutes (or until crispy) – allow to cool – NOT on a paper towel!
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2) Using a mixer – mix the butter and sugar until smooth
3) In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk. Set aside
4) Once the butter and sugar are well mixed, put in the egg and maple syrup. I put a couple of dashes in mine, but I could have put in more. I’m guesstimating it was 2 tablespoons or so.
5) Keep mixing. Slowly add the flour, a few scoops at a time. Once mixed, stop the mixer.
6) Break up the bacon into bits and put into batter. Put as many chocolate chips as you want.
7) Grab a scoop of dough and roll it with your hands. Place on a baking sheet.
8) Bake for exactly 14 minutes.
9) Once done, take out of oven and cool for a few minutes on the sheet. After, place on a plate to fully cool.
The Cookies tasted like a pancake breakfast. They were delicious. The candied bacon was not meaty at all and provided a nice sticky taste in the cookie. Of course, anything goes with dark chocolate – so the bacon paired nicely with it. I had two one behind the other 🙂
So that is my Bacon Cookie Task!
Have you ever made bacon chocolate chip cookies before?
Do you like bacon?