Both P and I drive fairly old cars. The Honda Civic is the 1998 model and the Jeep is from 1999. Both are starting to show some signs that they are about to die – and really we need a more reliable vehicle. Every time we take a road trip somewhere we have to rent a vehicle because we are worried that the cars will not make it far and well both are rather uncomfortable to drive in. Plus with all the vehicle problems (and the breakdowns in the middle of traffic), I do encounter a bit of anxiety from time to time driving either car. The other day the fans in the Jeep stopped working and as soon as I got home, I asked for a sledge hammer so I could beat up the car (real mature, I know).
But – P likes the Jeep. It is his project car and until it blows up, he will not get rid of it. However, with the fact that I will be commuting more than 2 minutes to work next year and just general wear , we need another vehicle for me to drive that is way more gas efficient and reliable. The idea would be that we would park the jeep (especially over winter) and use the two other cars to get around. P plans to drive the Honda until it “blows up” and then buy another s***-mobile when the time comes. Generally every 3-4 years, P buys a car that costs less than $2000 and drives it to death (he drives 100+ KM a day).
What are we looking for?
It is complicated (well maybe not)
What we required:
1) A gas efficient car – meaning it will cost me about $45 to fill and lasts almost all week. The Honda currently does this
2) A car seat friendly car – The jeep isn’t car seat friendly, at all! Neither are many other cars
4) Not a Mazda, Dodge (actually no American cars except Ford) Caliber, or super sport cars
5) No previous owners who smoked or got into an accident
6) Less than 115,000KM
What would be nice
1) Auto transmission – Both of us can drive either transmission, but driving standard in traffic = awful
2) Power everything – The Honda has nothing powered
3) A car that we can do oil changes ourselves – we cannot change the oil in the Honda easily
We will not be purchasing a brand new car. I am pretty sure we cannot afford it – especially considering that my employment is sporadic. We will be using my summer school income as a bulk of the payment for the car as well as some savings. Ideally I would like to spend between $5000-10,000 on the car.
So – Thoughts? Suggestions?